A commercial building at the heart of downtown Hillsboro, ND has a new lease on life after completion of a multi-year rehabilitation. The two story brick building, constructed in 1891 as part of Union Block, had fallen into disrepair in recent years. In 2006, the Hillsboro community spoke out strongly for preservation of this downtown landmark. To this end, a group of volunteers formed Hillsboro Community Partnership (HCP), a nonprofit affiliate of Preservation North Dakota. With tremendous community support, HCP directed a series of repair and stabilization phases.
Steps required in the process included rebuilding the back wall, new roofing, interior joist replacement for the floor, ceiling and roof as well as exterior brick tuck pointing of the elegant storefront architecture. In 2011, energy efficient, historically replicated second story windows were installed to complete the final phase of the Union Block Project for this building.
Known locally as “the former Johnson Store”, for the department store located there from the 1940s through the 1980s, this L-shaped commerce center now has new owners. Amanda and Joe Johnson of Hillsboro will operate Our Town Bakery from this location when their renovations are completed.
Hillsboro Community Partnership will be hosting a walk-through open house at the 3 North Main St. property on Saturday afternoon, February 11, from 2-4 pm. Everyone interested in seeing what’s been accomplished by this community effort is welcome. Free refreshments will include Our Town Bakery goods and will be served at 5 North Main St. where HCP’s rehab work continues.